Wondering where you have heard of Laitlum before? Well no wonder because it is one of the spots where the most talking about upcoming movie Rock On 2 was shot. Usually when you think of tourist spots in Meghalaya, you automatically picture Shillong or Cherrapunji but after you have been a couple of times, you start to look for new options and that is when Laitlum will come to your rescue.
The only problem is that since it hasn’t been developed as a tourist spot yet, there are very few options when it comes to eating or staying but nonetheless when has that ever stopped the true traveller.
What To Do When You Get There?
- Visit the village of Smit which has a traditional house that is believed to be more than 100 years old.
- If you love to trek, then Laitlum will win you over with one of the most beautiful treks in Northeast India.
- Pack a lunch from a traditional Khasi eatery and enjoy a relaxed meal near the gurgling Laitlum stream.
- Climb the 3000 steep stairway that offers some breath-taking views
Things to Remember
- Take a camera along to take gorgeous pictures that will remind you why Meghalaya is called ‘abode of clouds’
- Don’t litter so pack your leftovers and dispose of the same when you come across a dustbin.
- Pack a light lunch and water bottles because you may not get a lot of options there