The Assam directorate of archaeology will take up 24 new sites in the state, including the 17th century Momai Kota Garh here, for protection and preservation. Of these 24 sites, two are in Kamrup (metro) district, one in Kamrup district, and four each in Nagaon and Golaghat districts and 13 in Tinsukia district.
Momai Kota Garh, located at Lankeswar is a rampart built by the Ahom army within a night under the leadership of legendary Ahom general Lachit Borphukan to ward off the Mughals and it is the only remnant of the historic Saraighat battle. Another 17th-century rampart in the city that was included in the list is Lachit Garh at Gorchuk.
The source said the battlefield of Alaboi, where the Assamese forces clashed with the Mughals in 1669 at Dodora in Kamrup district, will also be taken up for preservation. Hundreds of mounds of earth, believed to be maidams (burial places) of the Assamese soldiers who embraced martyrdom fighting the Mughals at the Alaboi battle, were discovered in 2014.
Samdhara Garh at Samaguri and Pub Moiradhaj Mosque at Dhing in Nagaon district, maidams at Charingia in Golaghat district, Juriya maidams in Sadiya and Godha Barbarua rampart at Borhapjan in Tinsukia district were among these 24 sites selected by the directorate of archaeology. There are also several ancient ponds in the list such as Raja pukhuri (pond) and Rani pukhuri in Golaghat district besides Tinkunia pukhuri, Na-pukhuri, Bengmora pukhuri, Selukia pukhuri, Tezimola pukhuri, among others, in Tinsukia district.
This article was first published by The Telegraph